Blanks & Cofferdams
The ability to blank off sea inlets and overboard discharges safely and quickly underwater is essential if costly delays or even unscheduled dockings are to be avoided. SeaTec hull aperture blanks are supplied to vessels in service and new builds. They are also suitable for semi-submersible installations and other offshore structures that cannot easily be brought to a docking facility. Vessels such as FPSOs that are on station for 10 to 25 years rely on blanking technology to remain in service and in class.
SeaTec blanks have been supplied to hundreds of ships and vessels and individual blanks have been refitted many times to achieve a successful and safe sealing system. Easily fitted by divers, the SeaTec design incorporates an adequate safety factor with all blanks being quality checked to the highest standard. Many of the blanking systems carry class approval from the major classification societies.
SeaTec is an industry specialist in cofferdam design, fabrication, installation and execution of works, providing support for vessels and offshore installations. Cofferdams provide the environment to complete more complex in-water ship engineering tasks. They can remain in position for extended periods, which allows for any unforeseen scope growth to be captured and completed. Cofferdams are frequently required to execute weld repairs to rig and vessel hulls, where wet welding techniques cannot be used, or dry-docking facilities are not readily available.
Cofferdams fall into three main categories:
- Fully enclosed ‘limpet’ type cofferdams used for a variety of repairs where an area needs to be sealed off from the sea on all sides, for subsequent internal intervention to the hull or equipment.
- Man entry cofferdams used where engineers or technicians need to have external dry access. The working environment of the cofferdam allows for specialist surface equipment and personnel to be utilised below the waterline, which expands the range of underwater engineering tasks.
- Open bottom or hyperbaric cofferdams used where a dry space is required to carry out a repair below water, but that can only be accessed by a trained diver.
SeaTec can design a cofferdam system to suit any application across the maritime industry. Applications for cofferdams can be extremely varied but typically include:
- Repair projects for damaged vessels
- Hull aperture blanks for sea chests and discharges
- Replacement of stern seals
- Repair and replacement of tunnel thrusters
- Bespoke cofferdams for rudder/stabiliser replacement
- Propeller maintenance
- Transducer maintenance
- Steelwork replacement
- Impressed current anode replacement
- Permanent class approved hull insert plate repairs
- Installation of new build civil structures at water front developments
- Repairs to concrete structures such as docks and jetties
- Repair and inspection of rig spud cans
- Repairs to turret systems
Contact us to find out more about our blank and cofferdam solutions.
Latest SeaTec News
Find all our latest news articles and press releases relating to SeaTec and all our brands.
Posted: 20th January 2020
Posted: 16th January 2020
Posted: 19th December 2019
Posted: 28th November 2019
Posted: 28th November 2019
Posted: 4th November 2019
Posted: 30th October 2019
Posted: 2nd October 2019
Posted: 24th September 2019
Posted: 16th September 2019
Posted: 12th September 2019
Posted: 30th August 2019